Sunday, April 5, 2015

Life with food allergies


In December of 2014 I was officially diagnosed with food allergies, of all the best foods, which is the worst thing that could happen to me. I love food. I have always had a great relationship with food; it is the longest and happiest relationship I have been in, until now. I have yet to meet a Mac 'n' Cheese I didn't like. Yet to scoff at a plate of arroz con gandules, pernil, tostones and yucca frita. I devour cheesecake as if my blood is made of it and needs a new slice at least twice a week to keep my body alive. You get the point now. 

Let me share with you, what I'm talking about, below are all the foods I cannot eat:
Spices:
anise
caraway
celery
chervil
cinnamon
coriander
cumin
chamomile
dill
fennel
ginkgo
honey
mustard
paprika
parsley
parsnip
pepper
poppy seeds
sunflower seeds
tarragon
Fruits/Veggies:
apples
carrots
hazelnut
kiwi
lettuce
mango
almonds
peanuts
pistachio
tomato
banana
cucumber
melon
watermelon
zucchini
garlic
onion
Drinks:
herbal teas
beer
Food:
Shellfish
That last one is important because I will go into anaphylactic shock when I ingest just a smidgen of that shit. When I ingest all the other foods on this list, I suffer from what I call Exploding Ass Syndrome (EAS). Fuck. My. Life. 
Now, my life is filled with bland fucking chicken, bland fucking rice, bland bland bland....I'm dyin' out here!
Pepto Bismol is always on deck. Always. Otherwise I'm straight up curled up on the floor of my house rocking back and forth in the fetal position, crying like I'm in labor - I am in labor, getting ready to birth a shit baby
The picture above is homemade ramen I made seasoned with turmeric, ginger, rosemary, and a bit of soy sauce and my ass was much less explosive the next day, so it was a good turnout I guess. 
I reached out to my close friend who lives in Hawaii and is also a chef who has graciously accepted a challenge to create recipes to fit my now very strict diet, so stay tuned for some delicious blog posts with recipes and pictures as time goes on! 

Diagnosed with serious food allergies? Let me know below! How did you cope if they were diagnosed after you were used to eating all those delicious foods? Help a sister out! 

Nadia Chanté

No comments:

Post a Comment