Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Kickboxing and me...

I have a love hate relationship with exercise. I was one of the "lucky" ones who never really has to work out when I was younger due to my superior metabolism and amazing abs. Once I hit 25, that shit was done. I had taken my gift for granted and squandered it on too many drunken nights followed by greasy food. Six years later I am still fighting that beast called obesity.

I am not the type to workout in the gym, alone, with weights. Don't get me wrong, if it works for you - go hard son. For me, I like the feeling of community and  most importantly, watching other people suffer. Call me old fashioned I guess. So classes have always been my go to when I'm feeling like I need to get in shape. Sweating and suffering with group is far more entertaining than working out alone and watching other people watch themselves in the mirror while taking selfies of their workout.


In an attempt to acquire my early-20's body I recently purchased a Groupon for a Kickboxing fitness class at Pouncing Tigers Kickboxing Studio in Harlem. (SIDE NOTE: I will NEVER be able to save money with Groupon around. I love you but I hate you Groupon). Anyway, I was NOT prepared. Um, they hit one another! Like no helmets, just fists and maybe a body bag in between the two of you. Then at the end we have to attempt to kick one another and dodge those kicks simultaneously, it was incredible!

I felt like Uma Thurman from Kill Bill Vol. I fighting the Crazy 88's.

I think I found my niche.

NC


No comments:

Post a Comment