Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Three Days in Jamrock

Lovelies!
I took a wonderful trip to Ocho Rios with my significant other and FIVE other couples last month for a 3 day jaunt on the tropical island.
Based on my previous travel which left me so exhausted (Tokyo and Puerto Rico) I decided splurging on a three day getaway focusing on rest and suntanning with my love was long overdue.

First thing is first, we stayed at a place called The Big White Villa. No joke. I didn't have the address when I checked into customs in Jamaica and they wouldn't let me in the country. I was diverted to the Information Desk to have them Google the address to the villa then routed back to Immigration to potentially enter the island.

This place is gorgeous! Seven bedrooms, two of them are really apartments on the pool deck level so I'm not sure if that counts. We were lucky enough to get the master bedroom complete with a jacuzzi tub and chaise sofa in the bathroom. I made good use of that jacuzzi tub on the last day when my skin was the color of burned toast. *Drop some organic coconut oil into hot water and soak lovelies. You'll thank me later.*

The best part of the trip was the food! Ugh. We had a Chef, Kevin, who made the BEST damn food I have ever had in my life. Our group went out to dinner at least twice and each time the food was disappointing. I blame bland tourist with their bland palates for causing the demise of cultural relevance in cuisine. We had akee and saltfish, dumplings, greens, fried plantains; that was just day one for breakfast. He made a stewed goat dish for our last night that had us licking our plates. It was divine.

If your family or a group of friends are looking for a place to stay in Ocho Rios I highly recommend The Big White Villa. Just remember to Google the address prior to your flight into Jamaica.

Second, we didn't do much touristy things since our time was supremely limited. We did make one excursion to a place called The Blue Hole. This place is up on a mountain top, about a 25 minute drive from the villa. Wear athletic bathing suits, if you're a woman who likes to look cute in strappy suits - just make sure to adjust yourself after each jump. You'll be cliff diving from 10ft to 25ft the entire time so make sure your top is on when you surface above the water. Learn from me lovelies. Learn from me. You might also want to work on your upper body strength as there is a rope swing about 3/4 of the way into the adventure and by that time your hands are too slippery for any real grip. I plummeted off that rope like a cement block. No bueno. To make up for my lackluster rope swing I decided to be the brave one of the group and jump off the highest cliff (25ft) into the beautiful blue waters below. The instructor adivsed me to jump with an open body and land with a closed "pencil-like" body. Clearly his vision was failing him as I was standing right in front of him, all 38-30-47 of me. I said "OK" and mentally prepared myself for the jump. I was NOT prepared for the stinging ass clap when I entered the water. I landed so hard I felt the sting on my asshole. As in, I was under the water and checked to see if my asshole was still in tact. That's how hard you enter the water. I was amazed I could walk out of the shoreline.

Third, hit up Sugar Pot Beach. It is a tiny beach about a 5 minute drive from the villa over a rather dubious looking bridge. You'll pass a fishing village complete with emaciated stray dogs and puppies (it is an island after all). You'll enter and pay a fee, the fee covers the space your taking up and maintenance. The beach is complete with a restaurant where everything is made to order (which means your food is ready in about 45 minutes) and small cabana areas to put your rental chair and belongings.   WORTH IT! DO IT!

Aside from that I will say as a New Yorker it takes me some time getting used to the laid back attitude of islanders. ANY time we ordered food from an establishment the wait time was minimum 25 minutes. People are not in a rush here. They want to make sure your food is delicious and they will make sure to take the time to get it just right for you. Mother's is a great fast food join we found with PHENOMENAL patties. Try them. If you have the time, find an ice-cream parlor and get some Grape Nut ice-cream. I can never find it stateside.

I didn't shop for souvenirs. I took advantage of all the down time and used my coconut oil as sunscreen to tan and catch up on my reading. I look forward to going next time to lounge on a different side of the island and learn more about the history of Jamaica. Bob Marley Museum anyone?

Until next time.

XO.
Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment